Monday 24 December 2012

Christmas Update

So its Christmas time and I am between races at the moment, and so far things have gone good, bad and so so, so far. So I might as well fill the void in on what I have been up to now that the ski season is under well under way. The first races of the the season were held in Panorama BC and went okay for the most part, I was invited by Canada Alpine's Para team to train and race with them at what ended up being a fairly small set of races. It consisted one Super-G, one Giant Slalom, and one Slalom. My results were a kind of back handed quasi victory in a sense, I was 3rd in the Super-G even though I fell and was only in 3rd by 0.25 seconds the national coaches said that had I not fell there was a good chance that I would have caught their top sit-skiier who is ranked 10th in the world in SG, I was also 3rd in the Giant Slalom which was an okay run for me, and unfortunately i had some helmet issues in the Slalom event and did not finish, but given the field of competitors I would have more than likely placed second, but alas that was not so .

About two weeks later I was then off to Copper Colorado for another set of NorAm races among a international field consisting primarily the entire US National Para Alpine team. The week of racing would consist of two Super-G's, two Giant Slalom's, and two Slaloms. and again they went good bad and so so. I places 7th in the first SG but fell three quarters through my run on the second SG and did not finish. The next day in the first Giant Slalom I skied like a pussy on my first run primarily because I was trying to "just finish" the run and as my time would prove "just finishing" does not cut it in the world of ski racing. My second run however was much better in which I cut over five seconds of of my first run time but since this event is two combined runs I only placed 17th. The second GS the next day was consistent throughout and I improved slightly finishing 15th in that race.

Slalom would make up the next two days of racing and went better than the GS but could still have been better. The first race even though I had a significant screw-up half way down I managed to place 9th with my second run cutting off over five seconds from the first. the next day was again good and bad with my first run being okish and my second in which I fell and came to a stop left me in 13th overall for that race. So like I said Copper was Good, Bad, and So So.

But it is almost Christmas and the next set of races are less than two weeks away from me and I just got a e-mail from Canada Alpine informing me that I have made the "long-list" for the 2014 winter Olympics in Sochi Russia. Now this is not a guarantee or anything but it is official acknowledgemen
t that it is at least a possibility .

But in the mean time Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night.... for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment